Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Creatively Featured: Nora MacPhail

For this edition of Creatively Featured, we welcome Nora MacPhail!  Nora's watercolors paintings are refreshing and beautiful!


ARTISTS IN BLOGLAND INTERVIEW
Nora MacPhail

Tell us about blogging and how it's worked for you.

I started my art blog over one year ago and it has really encouraged me and my dedication to my artwork. I made a commitment to paint regularly, to incorporate it into my daily life, and blogging is a wonderful tool that keeps me on track. It is also a great way to document my artwork and my weekly progress. Also, the support from my fellow blogging artists has been overwhelming and constant which has made the process even more enriching.

How did you discover your favorite art medium? 
 
I discovered my favourite art medium, watercolour, by fluke. A friend and I decided to take an art class together and although I thought acrylics would be fun, she insisted on watercolour. So we signed up. After one class she had to drop out due to her work schedule and I was there alone taking watercolour. However, I carried on and took to it immediately. I was quickly thrilled with the class and the medium.

Which aspect of your art do you enjoy most?

The aspect of my watercolour work that I enjoy the most is drawing. It is a wonderful and satisfying activity and as my skills develop, I find the activity is more and more satisfying. Watercolour demands an ability to draw and since I love the look of lines and making lines, I was quickly drawn to it (no pun intended!).


How do you see your future work and style developing?

My goal for my future work is to continue with a sense of playfulness combined with solid technique. It is important to me that the paintings are well crafted and skillfully painted but with a dash of playfulness. I plan to continue with an emphasis on contour line drawings with spots of bright watercolour.

Have you exhibited work or taught classes?

I have exhibited my art in juried watercolour shows and many group shows for the past 10 years. It's always wonderful, and eye opening, to see all of my work on display in a professional setting and to hear the public's response. Also, the support from fellow artists, as well as their constructive feedback, is very valuable and inspiring.


What have you done this past year?
For the past year I have been working with the theme of cityscapes. It is a complex subject and since I like working directly on location, it has been a difficult challenge. It is an ongoing search to find a way to present what I see in life onto paper with pen and watercolour but I am determined to see it through and discover what is next in store for me.






To see more of Nora's artwork visit her blog:  
Nora MacPhail
http://www.noramacphail.blogspot.com


18 comments:

  1. Nora, it is a pleasure to see your paintings!Great to see the lines and vibrant colors! Wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo pretty! Your watercolors are so luminous and joyous! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful, evocative work. Thank you for sharing this amazing artist with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The are all so beautiful and free with such brightness. I can never seem to be this free with my painting - when I get a chance to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ce que c'est beau !!! J'aime beaucoup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what great work. I love the looseness of it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely feature on Nora MacPhail. I'm already a fan of her work so it's nice to her mentioned here too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to check out the interview and comment. Much appreciated.
    Happy Creating,
    Nora MacPhail

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nora, the painting exhibited here were excellent choices. They really show your accomplishments. Your watercolors are lively and stimulating. You choice of subject and your expert use of color makes them wonderful treasures to add to a collection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful interview! I love Noras style rich with lines and color! Always interesting to see what's on her canvas!! I love the selection of work she chose too!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the interview and of course the opportunity to see so many of your wonderful paintings together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love watercolour and I really love this approach to it. Its simply and so effective. I would love to be able to do that. I am far too tight with my approach and would love to achieve this. Great stuff
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks again for all of your lovely comments. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nora,,,your work looks great lined up like this...great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the fresh approach and the life and energy you inject into everyday scenes that make me "look" through different eyes... Inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Everyone! Your comments are very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete